Wednesday 4 November 2015

Practical Task - Production Company Ident

Practical Task - Production Company Ident

When brainstorming my initial ideas, I wanted to use the element of fire but wasn't sure how I could make an ident that looked effective but was also safe to film. I also felt that fire links into the genre of horror, as it is a destructive element which is associated with dark themes.

From this idea of using fire, i thought of the different ways I could use it. I thought about writing the production company name on a piece of paper and then, whilst holding it, set it alight at the corner so that it would burn across the page. After reevaluating this, I decided that it would be risky, as fire is unpredictable and there were many elements with the potential to go wrong, as well as the struggle of filming it at the same time.

I then decided to film a log fire, which I built and set alight. This was the safer option as the fire place available was contained behind a glass door, which also meant I could get closer to the fire without getting burnt. This then enabled me to experiment with different camera angles, as well as looking at how close I need to be in order for the fire to look effective. 

My next task was to decide a name for my production company. This came after I had the footage, as I wanted the two to have a strong link. I liked the idea 'FIREFLIX STUDIOS' as it had the tone of an already established company by sounding professional. I decided to go with this name.




  • For the editing stage, firstly I added a slow motion effect onto the footage and then trimmed it to be of the correct length. I changed the slow motion multiple times in order for it to be exactly how I wanted it, which wasn't too slow, but slow enough to see the details in the flame. 

  • I then added the fade to black onto the end of the clip which looked effective. 

  • Next, I added the production company name onto the centre of the clip and decided on white in order for it to contrast with the colours in the fire and then made sure the font was in bold. 

  • I then added a transition on the title so that it entered the frame from the front and faded in. 
  • I then evaluated the sound and decided that the diegetic sound I had from the footage wasn't loud enough or of a good enough quality, but I wanted to use the fire crackle, so I used a fire crackle from YouTube and added it to my clip. I faded out the music with the fire so that everything ended together, cleaning up the whole of the ident. 


This is the final production company ident, Fireflix Studios:


No comments:

Post a Comment