Saturday 28 November 2015

Practical Task - Sound Creation

For my sound creation, I decided to experiment with Garageband to  create a creepy soundtrack or sound clip. 
I decided to initially search on YouTube for a tutorial on how to do this as well as inspiration for what I could attempt to create. Unfortunately this was unsuccessful as all the tutorials were either for the old version of Garageband or created on an iPad, but as I was using my mac the layout was completely different and confusing, so I decided to experiment and attempt to create an effective piece of sound.

The layout of Garageband was initially very daunting, as I was unsure how to navigate around the complex app. After taking some time to attempt to understand the program, I worked out how to add different instruments.

I then used the keyboard on my laptop to create the sound patterns. Again, I had to experiment by pressing different key combinations and listening to it repeatedly to decide which combination was the most effective.

The list of instrument options is below, and as I was unsure which sounds I wanted to use, I had to try each one out in different pitches and octaves to find which sounds worked well together. 

 I then had to play a sound and record it using the software. This then inserted it as a green bar (seen below) and then I was able to crop and adjust the positioning of it. Again, I had to keep listening to it in order to ensure it was in the correct place and sounded effective for our genre.


Although the sound clip is only 7 seconds long, it took me more than two hours to create it, partly because I was unfamiliar with the software and unsure of how I wanted it to sound.

My final sound piece is attached below. If I were to do it again, I would try to make a longer soundtrack and ensured that all the different instruments flowed well together.



No comments:

Post a Comment