Tuesday 8 December 2015

Practical- Sound


Practical- Sound

For this practical task, I took a piece which my dad composed a few years ago for his mum. To record it, the base tune is played with two hands with chords and are played in the same sequence thrice through. Because I have a keyboard at home I was able to change the sound that the keys produce but for the base track I kept it with a classical piano sound. For the tune that comes in on the second play through the repeating base tune, just one has is used to play these notes and I played it with a mixture of 'Vocal' and 'Strings' which gave it a more dramatic sound and it was more powerful, like a choir. The tune builds when the main tune comes in and then repeats two more times and ends with a harmonising elongated chord. So to record both parts with the two separate sounds, I had to record the base tune on the keyboards record function and then I was able to play along to the recording with the main tune and record the whole thing on Voicenotes on my iPhone. 

Listening to it back, I would have liked to have used a microphone or a better quality sound recording device because you can hear quite a lot of background sound so it's not as crisp as I would have liked it to have been. Also, this tune probably would be more suited to a teen drama or a romcom rather than a horror as it's quite slow and dramatic but it's not staccato because the damper pedal is being used to make the piece sing more and be more expressive. Therefore we probably won't use this because we will want a piece of music that is more jumpy, less legato and builds tension. 




Here is the finished piece



No comments:

Post a Comment