Thursday 25 February 2016

Editing Evaluation

As our opening sequence needed titles and we had already researched into what the titles should say and where they should be placed. For our titles, I wanted to try and incorporate them into the scene. I had seen this be done before but couldn't find a tutorial to teach myself how to do it. I decided to experiment with the editing software, Final Cut Pro.

Firstly, I created a title, simply saying Amy's name. I chose the font 'Engravers Gothic' and then selected the size 120.00, as I experimented and this size fit best with the current shot of the chess board. I then found the transform tool (slightly left of the rewind, play and fast forward button). This selects the text as an object and then gives you a text box like tool to drag around the shot and place it where you want it. I changed the angle of the wording so that it was just sitting on the edge of the chess board. 

I also evaluated the use of colour for the titles, experimenting with black, white and red, to see which colour worked well with both the genre as well as fitting in with the shot. Red stood out too much, and didn't work well with the colours already present, whereas black was too dark and didn't stand out in the scene. At first, we weren't sure about using white, as it is quite bold, but then we decided that it worked best with the scene and added a dramatic effect to the shot.

When watching it back, I noticed that there is a slight tilt from the bottom of the chess board to the shot which is seen below, so I again readjusted the placement of the title in the shot, so although it doesn't begin on the edge of the chess board, it doesn't look out of place when the camera tilts to a different angle of the board.

This shot works really well with the titles, partly because of the extreme close up of the chess board highlighting the vast details and a dramatic contrast between the black and white, as well as the grass. I am glad we used this technique rather than just inserting a normal title as it adds depth to the scene and incorporates the names into the narrative.


I also edited the final title which is seen at the end of the opening scene. Although Charley made the typography, a few changes needed to be made to ensure it was perfect for our genre. This included removing some of the images of the victim and the killer, and focusing more on the detail of the reflection. I worked to incorporate it into our project, and ensure that it fit with not only the narrative, but also the genre. Charley had already used the colours that were conventional for our genre and it was already on a black background. 

First of all, I imported the title and added the transition to both ends of the title. I experimented with the length of the title, in order to get it the right length, but not too long that it got boring. After watching it a few times over, it looked a bit bare. In context, there was no clear link between the title and the final shot of the car boot being slammed. One of the girls added a royalty free car boot slam with the footage, and then added a engine being revved over the title. I really liked this idea, but wanted to incorporate an element of the car within the title, without over powering it and taking the focus away from the main title. On YouTube, I began searching for different smoke effects which could potentially look like a car exhaust. This was a difficult task as I didn't have a clear vision of the type of smoky effect that I was picturing.

Finally, I found a royalty free smoke effect from YouTube that would work perfectly with our title. I imported it over the title and then reduced the opacity, so that it would be seen but still not take the focus from the main title. I then added the same transition as I did for the title, but lengthened the clip so that it lasted longer than the title. Paired with the sound, it sounded like a car pulling away and leaving a trail of smoke, and as a group we decided that it was just what we needed for a dramatic ending to our opening scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment