Tuesday 9 February 2016

Editing - Foley Sound

When the girl is running through the forest, she is listening to music, however the sound is heard through her headphones. As a result, we wanted to include sounds from the forest that can be heard by the audience to create the atmosphere of a normal girl in a normal forest, before we introduce more sinister music to the scene. 
As my practical task for sound, I created some foley sounds as an experiment, including using breadsticks to as snapping twigs and plastic packaging and snapping carrots to create the sound of a fire. As a part of this, I also crushed an egg, not being 100% certain of what the sound would or could become. This sound actually sounded like a splash in a puddle, and it just so happened to be that we had a shot of the girl running through a puddle that we were using in the scene. As a result, I imported the sound of the egg crush/splash and lined it up in time with the visuals of the girl running through the puddle. To add a greater depth to the sound, I then added an effect that enabled me to change the pitch of the puddle to make it sound deeper. I also added the Large Room sound effect to make the puddle echo more. This made the sound eerier, and more creepy. 
On top of the egg crush/splash sound I added the sounds of birds tweeting and wind that I detached from a video clip we had filmed. This gave  the effect of being deep in the forest, with nature surrounding the girl. 


No comments:

Post a Comment