Thursday 25 February 2016

Editing Evaluation

As one of our opening shots of the victim in the flashback, we wanted it to be very bold and stand out. So, after I imported the clip, I used the blade tool to shorted it to the best bit. 
Then, I used the fade to black transition, so that the clip is very short and effective, and fades out, so that the victim isn't shown for too long, but at the same time the wounds are exaggerated.
I experimented with the different filters, as I wanted to find one that made the victim look in pain and defenceless, but at the same time add depth to her wounds and the scene. The filter that we finally went with is called burnt sunrise. Then, I detached the sound from another clip, as it was a strong wind sound, which would fit perfectly in setting the scene for the castle lair where the victim is tortured. Again, this added depth to the scene and exaggerated the true conditions of the environment which the victim had been tied up in. 

For one of our final shots, we wanted to play on the idea of losing a sense, as initially our killer was deaf. This idea was that when the victim had been captured, it foreshadowed her ear being cut off, as the music was abruptly stopped and her earphones fell out during her capture. 
During the filming of the shot, it took many attempts to get it right, as we needed the earphones to be in the centre of the shot, and the foot to crush them in the centre. Also, the focus needed to be on the earphones and as they were on the ground, I couldn't use a tripod, so had to manually set the focus and hold a steady shot close to the ground.
To edit this shot, first I imported the clip and use the blade tool to make it the right length. Then, I worked out which bit of the song would be playing at this moment in the narrative and bladed it so that it was the right length, matching the clip of the earphones. Rather than fading out the end of the music, I bladed it to make the cut off very abrupt, making it effective.
 After reviewing this, I decided that actually it needed a stomp sound of the foot making contact with the headphones, again to add depth to the scene and make the shot more realistic. I found one on YouTube and imported it, using the blade tool again to ensure that it was the right clip. I then focused on placing it in the most accurate place, so that the visual matched the sound. 
After this, I faded out the sound of the boot, so that it worked with the transition between the scenes and wasn't cut off as abruptly as the song. As one of the other members in my group had already worked on the main soundtrack, I had to ensure that the added bit for this scene worked well with what we already had, and this meant making a few adjustments regarding the volume the added sound clips. Once this had been changed, the clip was completed and worked very well with our narrative.o

No comments:

Post a Comment